Avenor CollegeCu normă întreagă Zi plină
- Quick apply
An attractive salary package
Full Time, Fixed Term
19 December 2023
Avenor College is welcoming a knowledgeable, passionate Teacher of Chemistry to join a collaborative Science Department and teach in a modern, purpose built laboratory.
Applicants should be qualified Chemistry teachers, ready to work with KS3-5 students. Early Career Teachers are welcome to apply and complete with us the ECT programme.
We have three fully resourced laboratories in a new state of the art Senior building. The Science department consists of seven Science teachers and one lab technician. The college offers varied opportunities for personal and professional development through a model that gives teachers voice, choice and agency.
At A Level our students study the CAIE 9701 curriculum. We currently offer two learning pathways at IGCSE: Coordinated Science (Double) CAIE 0654, or Separate Sciences (Triple) CAIE 0620. Our Key Stage 3 provision has a Romanian national strand in Science for a minority of students, while most of our students follow the UK National curriculum through an in-house scheme of work, with a focus on developing investigative skills.
We welcome applicants who meet the following:
- Have deep and flexible subject knowledge to design and facilitate learning of Science in Middle School and of Chemistry at IGCSE and A Level;
- Know how students learn, motivating and challenging them by creating a stimulating learning experience;
- Use the scientific cycle of inquiry to develop investigation skills of students in all year groups;
- Contribute to curriculum development by updating schemes of work and collaborate with teachers of other subjects to ensure horizontal articulation of the curriculum;
- Offer opportunities for learning Science outside the curriculum time, through contributing to our strong co-curricular offer;
- Be fluent in English;
- Inspire trust and confidence in students, parents and colleagues;
- Contribute to meeting the wider aspirations of Avenor College;
- Respect, adhere to and model the Avenor values.
We value the following dispositions and would hope you might be able to demonstrate them:
- Build positive relationships with students, parents and colleagues;
- Be good team player and good team builder;
- Listen actively;
- Be fair and consistent;
- Have a positive outlook, be a good role model who leads by personal example;
- Be inclusive and committed to intercultural learning;
- Work effectively; be organised and prepared, with a high degree of resilience;
- Live a healthy life;
- Have interest and commitment to own personal and professional development;
- Love what you do, show it and model being a longlife learner.
- A competitive salary and benefits package;
- An initial two-year contract term with annual renewal thereafter;
- A rich staff well-being programme;
- Professional learning and development opportunities;
- Opportunities to organise and deliver adult learning;
- Be part of a community of learners, where we support each other and we grow together.
- Please send your complete resume/CV either through this TES application or by emailing [email protected];
- Include a cover letter where you outline your educational beliefs, explain your strengths and your reasons for wanting to work at Avenor College (and live in Bucharest);
- Ensure that your application includes the names of at least three referees with their current phone numbers and email addresses.
Please be aware we take very seriously our duty of care towards all our students; as part of our safeguarding procedures we will undertake rigorous checks with referees, as well as requiring you to provide current police checks together with an updated ICPC.
- Closing date: Applications will be dealt with on receipt;
- First-round interviews will be conducted online;
- Final interviews for shortlisted candidates will be individually arranged;
- Part of the recruitment process is one demo lesson that can be either online or in person.
About Avenor College
- Avenor College
- No. 125A Padurea Pustnicu Road, 1st District, Baneasa, Bucharest
+40 37 043 480
We are a non-profit school for students from ages 2 to 19. In 2007, the school opened with five students in first grade. Sixteen years later, Avenor College has over 700 students aged from two to eighteen, from Nursery to Grade 12 (Year 13) and over 170 staff members. Our school aims to have 800 students in the next few years.
Avenor College has two campuses in the Northern part of Bucharest: in a historic villa on Alexandru Constantinescu Street, very close to the city centre - dedicated to our Nursery groups and a beautiful, custom-built campus bordered by Baneasa forest hosting the Nursery, the Primary School, the Middle School and the High School.
We are accredited by BSO - with the qualification ”OUTSTANDING in each standard and overall”, and by the Romanian Ministry of Education - with the qualification ”Foarte Bine”. The school is also a member of the Common Ground Collaborative, an innovative global network of leading international schools. Avenor College was founded by the Avenor Foundation, a non-profit organization created by Diana Segărceanu and Florin Segărceanu.
Our vision is to co-create a positive and progressive educational landmark not only for Romania but for the rest of the world. We co-create for each individual student a challenging learning experience, providing them with skills for the future.
Avenor College has been growing every year. Whilst the nursery and primary schools have been long established, the Secondary school is still developing. Our 5th cohort of high school students graduated in June 2023. During the last 6 years, our high school has grown from one form entry to 3 form entry and the exam results have improved every year. We are a selective school accepting students only if they meet our school criteria and standards.
Most of our students are Romanian and we have responded to a demand from families in Bucharest for the best British style education. We are proud of the BSO recognition received in 2023 “OUTSTANDING in each standard and overall”. This is a great accomplishment especially because we are not a traditional British School; we are a bilingual international school rooted in Romanian culture, inspired by international experiences and following a modern curriculum. We take pride and believe in our heritage and legacy.
Our teaching staff is a mixture of Romanian, British and other nationalities.
The school provides a caring, nurturing environment where pupils are encouraged to achieve the attributes in the Avenor Learner Profile (ALP). Our aim is for our children to go on to attend some of the world’s finest universities, but we also want our Romanian students to gain a sense of responsibility to contribute to their country’s development in the future.
We always seek to think beyond examination success and we have developed an excellent reputation for innovation. Our innovative practices include a programme of Learning outside the Classroom and Internships, an extensive co-curricular offer, bilingual learning and a distinct approach to cross-curricular themes. Our name reflects our approach and aspirations: ‘Avenor’ derives from the ideas of being decisive while following your path and building for the future. For more details, please visit our website and/or consult the BSO inspection report.
Bucharest is a cosmopolitan and culturally rich city, with excellent (and cheap) transport connections with cities throughout Romania and the rest of Europe. The cost of living is considerably less than in most western European cities. The city is a safe place to live in. Here you can find an active expatriate community. Romanian society is welcoming to foreigners and most people speak English. The Romanian language is difficult to learn, but we would encourage you to try, and people are very willing to help you. Romania is a country with a diversity that is worth exploring in detail.
Our teachers from outside Romania usually enjoy living in Bucharest and, while some will gravitate to the expat communities, many feel that they are able to integrate fully into the life of the city and take advantage of what Romania has to offer. You can find here more details about Bucharest.
Please note that you are wholly responsible for fact checking in respect of the information provided by schools. Please also check for the latest visa and work permit requirements that may apply. Tes is not responsible for the content of advertisements or the policies adopted by advertising schools. Tes asks that all schools follow Tes' Fair Recruitment Policy.