Booking Holdings Romania - Software Engineer
Booking HoldingsCu normă întreagă Zi plină
As part of our Booking Holdings Romania team, you will have the opportunity to be a part of the world's leading provider of online travel, with a mission of making it easier for everyone to experience the world through six-primary consumer facing brands: Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, KAYAK, OpenTable and Rentalcars.com.
A software developer owns the execution of technical elements in the Booking.com tech stack, products and processes. They are responsible for the implementation of technical solutions based on business requirements, they can estimate the effort and impact of the items they work on, and show a high quality of craft in what they deliver.
A developer understands the quality of test automation is as important as the production code and spends time refactoring both to ensure ease of change enabling a sustainable pace of development.
Developers are expected to work together with colleagues in other job roles to design, prioritise and implement technical tasks. Because the required technical skills and commercial knowledge can vary from one business unit to another, a developer can focus on multiple types of work from product features to infrastructure automation, frameworks, tooling or services.
Key Job Responsibilities and Duties
Building software applications
- Is responsible to build software applications by using relevant development languages and applying knowledge of systems, services and tools appropriate for the business area
- Is responsible to write readable and reusable code by applying standard patterns and using standard libraries
- Is responsible to refactor and simplify code by introducing design patterns when vital
- Is responsible to ensure the quality of the application by following standard testing techniques and methods that adhere to the test strategy
- Is responsible to maintain data security, integrity and quality by effectively following company standards and best practices
End to End System Ownership
- Has sufficient knowledge to own a service end to end by actively supervising application health and performance, setting and supervising relevant metrics and act accordingly when violated
- Has sufficient knowledge to reduce business continuity risks and bus factor by applying brand-new practices and tools, and writing the appropriate documentation such as runbooks and OpDocs
- Has sufficient knowledge to reduce risk and obtain customer feedback by using continuous delivery and experimentation frameworks
- Has sufficient knowledge to independently handle an application or service by working through deployment and operations in production
Technical Incident Management
- Is responsible to address and resolve live production issues by mitigating the customer impact within SLA
- Is responsible to improve the overall reliability of systems by producing long term solutions through root cause analysis
- Is responsible to keep track of incidents by chipping in to postmortem processes and logging live issues
- Has basic knowledge to advise product teams towards a technical solution that meets the functional, nonfunctional andamp; architectural requirements by challenging the rationale for an application design and providing context in the wider architectural landscape
- Has basic knowledge to set a clear direction for a technical capability by evaluating and aligning the target architecture improvements, reframing architectural designs and decisions for varied collaborator
Software Systems Design
- Has sufficient knowledge to evaluate possible architecture solutions by taking into account cost, business requirements, technology requirements and emerging technologies
- Has sufficient knowledge to describe the implications of changing an existing system or adding a new system to a specific area, by having a broad, high-level understanding of the infrastructure and architecture of our systems
- Has sufficient knowledge to help grow the business and/or accelerate software development by applying engineering techniques (e.g. prototyping, spiking and vendor evaluation) and standards
- Has sufficient knowledge to meet business needs by designing solutions that meet current requirements and are adaptable for future enhancements
- Is responsible to systematically identify patterns and underlying issues in complex situations, and to find solutions by applying logical and analytical thinking.
- Is responsible to constructively evaluate and develop ideas, plans and solutions by reviewing them, objectively taking into account external knowledge, initiating 'hard-working' improvements and articulating their rationale.
Continuous Quality and Process Improvement
- Has sufficient knowledge to find opportunities for process, system and structural improvements (i.e performance gains) by examining and evaluating current process flows, methods and standards.
- Has sufficient knowledge to design and implement relevant improvements by defining adapted/new process flows, standards, and practices that enable business performance.
- Is responsible to deliver clear, well-structured, and important information to a target audience by using suitable communication mediums and language tailored to the audience
- Is responsible to achieve mutually agreeable solutions by staying adaptable, communicating ideas in clear coherent language and practising active listening
- Is responsible to ask relevant (follow-up) questions to properly engage with the speaker and really understand what they are saying, by applying listening and reflection techniques
Role Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor Degree
- 3-5 years of validated experience
- Strong programming skills
- Strong business and technical vision
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of hands-on developing and shipping software
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful
- Solution oriented and result driven
- Proactive, flexible and capable of working independently as well as working in a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Analytical skills and data-driven approach
Benefits andamp; Perks
- Chipping in to a high scale, sophisticated, world-class product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Technical, behavioral and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
- Vast amounts of data to validate your ideas and the opportunity to experiment with real users
Booking Holdings is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.